What can you complain about?

A complaint can be made about a student’s learning experience or an aspect of a University’ service or facility which is provided to students.


This means that a complaint can be made if a student is dissatisfied with or concerned about any aspect of their experience at the University.


Deadline for initial complaint

A student who is, or was recently a registered student, or a group of students wishing to complain should normally do so within 28 days of the event which has given rise to the complaint or, if a series of events has given rise to a complaint, within 28 days of the final event in the series.


Complaints Procedure Stages

There are 3 stages of the complaints procedure:

  1. Early resolution
  2. Local-level resolution; submitting a Complaints Form
  3. Requesting a review of your complaint


Stage 1: Early Resolution

Students are expected raise any complaints at the early opportunity and in the simplest way. This would be at the level at which the event leading to the complaint occurred. This could be either at programme-level, School-level or within the relevant service department.


If possible you should address your complaint to the member of staff most directly involved in the event leading to the complaint to give that person the opportunity to address your concerns or the Head of the Department/Service. 


You should submit your complaint within 28 days of the event which has given rise to it (or, if it relates to a series of events, within 28 days of the last event in the series). You should receive an outcome within 28 days.


Stage 2: Local-level resolution; submitting a Complaints Form

If it has not been possible to reach an acceptable informal resolution, it is possible to begin a more formal process to allow for further and more structured investigation.


In order for a complaint to be considered at Stage 2, you would need to complete the Student Complaints Form (SCF). The form will help focus on the key areas of the complaint and on what you would like to happen. It also gives the University a clear, formal record of the complaint.


The complaint form should usually be submitted within 21 calendar days of the Stage 1 written response or last correspondence which has left you dissatisfied.


It should be sent to the designated complaints officer in your School (your Course officer can tell you who this is) or to the Head of Department/Service.


You should receive an outcome within 28 days.


Stage 3: Institutional level review

If you are not satisfied with the outcome of local-level resolution, you are able to request a University level review of the complaint investigation if you consider that:

  1. there has been a procedural irregularity in the conduct of the Stage 2 investigation, or
  2. new information has come to light, which the student was unable to disclose previously and which would have had a material impact upon the investigation previously undertaken,


The form to request a University level review of a complaint is available here.


On the form you will need to explain on which ground(s) you wish your complaint to be considered. If you feel the University have made any mistakes in the way they investigated and considered your complaint and/or you now have new information to support your complaint that you could not have previously provided, you will need to explain why and provide any evidence to support your complaint.


You must make the request within 21 days of the written outcome of the Stage 2 complaint investigation.  You should send your request to Student & Academic Services by email to


The review will be carried out by a designated City Officer. The review will consider whether the outcome of Stage 2 was reasonable rather than reconsider the original case and its evidence.


You should receive an outcome within 28 days. This will represent the completion of the University’s internal complaint procedures and their final decision.


When City’s internal procedures have been concluded a student will be issued with a Completion of Procedures (CoP) letter.


Office of the Independent Adjudicator (OIA) for Higher Education

Following receipt of a COP, a student may be able to complain to the Office of the Independent Adjudicator (OIA) for Higher Education:


More information on complaints can be found in the University’s Regulation 26 – Student Complaints and on their website. Further guidance can also be found here.


How can we help with complaints?

Our Union Advice service is independent from the University and we can:

  1. Explain the complaints process.
  2. Advise on how to put together a complaint.
  3. Provide feedback on a draft of your complaint.
  4. Accompany you to meetings with the University.
  5. Provide ongoing advice throughout the complaint process. 


Contact us by email:

Alternatively see our self help guide (