We’re currently conducting a ‘democracy review,’ which is just a complicated way of saying that we’re trying find out how we can make the Students’ Union work better. We know the way we operate might seem a bit boring and complicated at the moment, so we want to bring ourselves into the 2020s.
We’re planning a big revamp of all the union structures, with the aim of making things simpler and funner, and crucially making us more effective at improving the experience of studying at City and being part of the university community. We want to build a system where every student feels they can make the changes they need through the Union.
A big part of this process is making sure that all students’ get a chance to take part in shaping how the union works in the future, and that you’re onboard with any changes we might make. The main reason for doing this is to design a Union more in tune with what students want, so it stands to reason we’d want your input.
- For this reason, we’re launching a big student consultation to get as many views as possible and get a sense of what students want from the Union and what they think of it now.
- The first part of this will be a survey (https://cityunilondon.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_3P3mbFNroG1E6oe).
- It should take no more than 5 minutes to complete and will ask you a series of questions about how things work at the moment and how you'd like to engage with the union in the future.
After this, starting from the 19th April, we will be running interviews with individual students and focus groups with different groups of students. Doing this will allow us to develop a deeper understanding of what City students want from the union, and provide opportunities for you to actually help to design how City SU will look in years to come. So if you get to the end of the survey and think you have more to contribute, then there are ways in which you can play a bigger role in the review. Your thoughts on these issues are really important for this project and will play a central role in the whole process- so if you want to take part in these you can let us know at the end of the survey.
We want to create an SU that’s easier to engage with and more effective at achieving change for students, and we think students at City will want that too. If being part of that process isn’t incentive enough, the first 1,000 respondents to the survey will get a chance to win…
- • Apple iPad (8th Gen) 128GB x 1
- • Fitbit Charge 4 Fitness Tracker x 5
- • JBL Flip 5 Bluetooth Speaker x 3
- • £50 Uber Eats Gift Cards x 6
If you’re up for taking part in the focus groups and interviews then there will be more prizes up for grabs.