Sustainability in Your Union
The Union is committed to increasing sustainability and protecting the environment. We recognise our environmental impact and we are making changes so that we can reduce it.
To see our current Sustainability policies demonstrating what we are doing and our commitment to sustainability see below:
Signing up to the Sustainable Development Goals policy - Click Here
Environmental policy - Click Here
Climate Change policy - Click Here
Opt-in Paper System policy - Click Here
To understand our biggest environmental impacts - Click Here
To download our SMART action plan click here.
WHAT THE UNION IS CURRENTLY DOING
“Fairtrade is about better prices, decent working conditions, local sustainability, and fair terms of trade for farmers and workers in the developing world.” – (Fairtrade Foundation, 2019)
By buying Fairtrade you are helping farmers in developing countries have a secure and sustainable livelihood in which they have the power to decide on their future. City University committed to being Fairtrade in 2010, and as such you can choose Fairtrade on campus, with various food and drink options and on clothing in the SU Shop and on our e-store. To find out more about Fairtrade click here.
We are preventing the use of paper by:
- Encouraging all staff to think about the environment before printing.
We are reducing the amount of paper we use by:
- Printing many posters and material without the date on them so that they can be reused each year.
- Using downloadable versions of meeting papers and using online tools to create paperless plans.
- Default duplex printing.
- Using downloadable versions of meeting papers for our Student Members Meeting.
We are reusing paper by:
- Implementing a scrap paper box.
- Using higher recycled and non-bleached paper for printing within the Union.
- Looking into increasing the use of 100% recycled and non-bleached paper across the different schools across City.
We are recycling paper by:
- Using the recycling waste bins for paper.
- Reducing the amount of single use plastic we use.
- Encouraging staff to use reusable cutlery and cups when purchasing food.
- Recycling all of our food waste.
- Donating appropriate unused food.
- Printers go to sleep after a period of non-use.
- Encouraging staff to turn off their monitors and non-essential equipment at the end of each day.
- Cycle-to-work scheme is available for Union staff to encourage staff to choose more sustainable modes of transport.
Green Impact Students Unions award is how we at the Students’ Union measure ourselves in terms of our Environmental impact. The Student led action on sustainability is working to improve the environment, promote sustainability and raise awareness of green issues within the University and the wider environment.
Keep your eyes peeled for all the exciting ways in which we will be reducing our environmental impact and how you can get involved in making sure your Students’ Union is more sustainable.
STUDENT SUSTAINABILITY SURVEY 2018-19:
The Students’ Union completed a sustainability survey in February 2019 to gauge student attitudes, knowledge and interest on sustainability issues. We found out from those who responded that students think we could be doing more to impress you with the size of our sustainability impact. We found that:
- 73% of you wanted more opportunities to learn more about sustainability;
- respondents wanted to see SU led action on plastic or food waste;
- the three biggest environmental concerns of Students’ are climate change, waste and water.
Opportunities to get involved with sustainability action will be posted here on the Union website, so keep your eyes open for all updates.
If you want to get involved in sustainability projects to help create a real change and develop key skills of communication, team work and leadership email: email@example.com
If you are a community organisation, charity or company that would like to work with City SU on a sustainability project then please email: firstname.lastname@example.org