Union Advice


Our service continues to offer appointments and these should be booked via the Case Form.

As Students' Union staff are home working, appointments will be provided via Microsoft Teams. You will be provided with joining instructions once you receiving your appointment booking email.

Please also find some further frequently asked questions regarding assessments, EC's and other issues by clicking here.


We are independent from the University and provide free, confidential and impartial academic advice to all students at City, University of London.

Our advisers work all year around, including the summer break and are experienced, fully trained and non-judgemental.

Our aim is to provide you with academic advice on academic matters to empower you to make your own decisions which is a fundamental part of your university experience. 

We provide advice on the following academic areas:


Our webpages contain advice on all of these academic issues and we also have self-help guides to help empower you through the process.

If you require additional advice on any of the above issues or wish to book an appointment to discuss your situation with an adviser please fill in our Union Advice Case Form.

We aim to respond within 3 working days and are only able to see students with booked appointments.

Before contacting the service please see below for information on what we can and can’t do.

What we can do

  • Answer questions you have about academic issues
  • Explain the University’s regulations and procedures.
  • Identify the options available in your situation outlining strength & weaknesses in your case
  • Advise you on how to complete forms and statements
  • Accompany you to meetings and panel hearings to provide support
  • Provide feedback on your forms and evidence

What we can’t do

  • Offer guarantees or make the University give you the outcome you want
  • Tell you what to do
  • Complete forms or write statements for you (unless there are health/learning reasons)
  • Make the University deal with your case quicker
  • Tell you the exact date you will receive a decision from the University


For more information on what we do please see our Union Advice Impact Report for 2016-17.