Start a new Society
There are five application periods in an academic year for student groups to apply to become affiliated with the Students’ Union. These new societies application periods are open to all current City, University of London students.
Round 1: 1st August - 26th September
Round 2: 30th September – 31st October
Round 3: 1st November – 28th November
Round 4: 7th January – 6th February
Round 5: 7th February – 20th March
Round 6: 21st March - 1st May
You need at least three registered City, University of London students to start a society. When filling out your application, please give as much detail as possible about your society aims and proposed activities. You will also need to obtain eight names and student ID numbers of current students who would be interested in joining your society.
Before completing an application it is good to read the Students’ Unions’ Society Regulations and the template Constitution that you will need to compete for your society upon becoming affiliated so you know what will be expected of you as an affiliated society. This can all be found below.
New Society Application Form (Word)
New Society Application Form (PDF)
Template Student Group Constitution
Student Groups Regulations
The New Society Application Process…
Submit your application to the Students' Union at email@example.com. Applications will be taken to the next meeting of the Societies Board for approval, so please expect a delay. Advice can be sought from the Societies Coordinator before submitting your application.
After the period closes all new society applications will be considered and approved/rejected by the Societies Development Board based on the criteria for approval found below. The Societies Development Board will meet during term time shortly after the application deadline and the Societies Coordinator will be in touch with decisions made by the board shortly after the meeting.
Our criteria for approval are:
- The application must be made by a current City, University of London student.
- There are three individual current students of City, University of London to take the tjhree committee positions of President, Finance Officer and Communications Officer (shared positions are not allowed).
- A new society’s core activities do not overlap with an existing society and not conflict with The Union’s aims.
- The group must be open to all City, University of London students.
- The group must be sustainable for future years
- The society has the minimum required signatures (eight) of current students of City, University of London to show the demand for the student group to become affiliated with the Students’ Union.
- The group is not constituted or governed by an external body.
- The activity is covered under the Students’ Union’s public liability insurance. Enquiries can be made to the Societies Coordinator if the student group is unsure.
- The nature of the activity is not deemed to be of such a high risk that it would require a disproportionate amount of funding/ and or staff time to monitor to ensure compliance with minimum safety standards.
- The group is not a competitive sport recognised by BUCS or Sport England (these should be referred to City Sport), with exceptions for a limited range of sports which there are no safety/ funding issues e.g. Social Sports.
- The group does not have the primary aim of charitable fundraising (these groups should be referred to City Students’ Union RAG Committee for approval)
- The group does not have the primary aim of being a student media outlet (these groups should be referred to City Students’ Union Student Media Committee for approval)
If it is approved then you will receive an email to let you know the next steps in making your society active. This will involve:
- Completing your society constitution
- Submitting committee details and social media platforms for the society so these can be added to the Students’ Union website under your society page.
- Training of your committee members.
Don’t panic! You will receive plenty of support from the Activities team through the application process and lots of benefits once affiliated such as an email account, budget line for your finance, room booking entitlements, access to funding and lots more!
For enquiries, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org