Disabled Students: Know Your Rights!

Disabled Students:

Know Your Rights!

The Equality Act means that universities are required to make reasonable adjustments to ensure that disabled or neurodiverse students are not disadvantaged in their education.

This may include providing extra time for exams, providing accessible course materials, and making physical adjustments to buildings and facilities.



Do You Qualify

To be considered disabled or neurodiverse under the Equality Act 2010, a physical, neurological, developmental, or mental impairment must have a substantial and long-term negative effect on your ability to perform daily activities.

You will need to register with Student Health and Wellbeing for an initial assessment to arrange for a learning support plan.  Your school would then consider the recommendations to provide appropriate and timely support..

If you think you may have an undiagnosed specific learning difficulty (e.g. Dyslexia) reach out to City's Funding Team for further information and guidance.


Key facts for the assessment period 

  1. Make sure you have your support plan in place and understand if you need to do anything differently to other students because of it. For example, including a marking sticker or using a different submission box.

  2. Check what support is avaliable to you during the exam period. You can find support through the Student Disability and Neurodiversity Service, Student Mental Health Service, Student Counselling Service, personal tutor and academic skills sections on your course's moodle page. 
  3. If something goes wrong before the deadline remember that you could be able to apply for an extension. This is an easier process than an Extrenating circumstances claim. If you are unsure whether to apply for an extension or submit an EC claim, please reach out to the Students' Union Advice Service early on for help with timely and comprehensive advice and support with the processes. Should you wish to receive advice on your case, complete a case form here 



How Can City Help

How can the Students' Union help?

- Help make reasonable adjustments for assessments
- Help you with your personal wellbeing
- Offer advice and support on Hardship Funds, Grants and Bursaries

- Help you navigate through City's regulations
Offer you money guidance and short term loans


Contact Us