The role of the Assembly Speaker is as follows:
- To be the lead member of the Assembly and ensure that the body fulfils its responsibilities.
- To manage the discussion at the meetings.
- To lead on the monitoring of Sabbatical Officer performance
Key Highlights of the Assembly Speaker include:
- Is the communication link between The Assembly and the Union’s Board of Trustees
- Is responsible for preparing the agenda for Assembly meetings with the support of a staff member
- Will be responsible for ensuring meetings are conducted in good nature and positively.
- Will be supported in their duties by a Deputy Assembly Speaker elected at the second meeting from amongst Assembly members including those appointed at the beginning of Term One
- Supports the recruitment of appointed Assembly members
Assembly Speaker 2023/24
Assembly Member for the School of Policy and Global Affairs studying BSc Economics (Economics and Econometrics)