Support services for money related issues

Seeking the relevant help and guidance will ensure that your time at City is as happy and enjoyable as it can be, whilst also contributing to better academic outcomes. We therefore encourage you to have a look at the internal and external services that are available to City students, listed below.

Union Advice will signpost or refer you to one of these services if we are unable to help.

This page is about further support services at City or externally. To find out more about what the Money Advice service can do to support you please click here.

Internal to City or the University of London

Student Funding– The Student Funding team can help you understand everything related to student funding and student finance. They can provide advice on grants, bursaries, scholarships and hardship funds you may be able to access through City, and you can find out more about these here

University of London Housing Service - The UoL Housing Advice Team is dedicated to supporting University of London students who experience problems in private accommodation and offers advice on a range of issues including contract checking, deposit disputes and repairs.

City’s Career and Employability Service and Unitemps City provides a careers and information service for students and recent graduates of City, in collaboration with employers and other University academic and service departments.

Their teams encompass careers, employability, and student development activities, including careers resources and appointments, skills sessions, employer events, community volunteering, professional mentoring, the Micro-Placement Programme and the City Buddies scheme.

Unitemps is City, University of London’s onsite temporary Recruitment Agency. They help students find temporary, permanent and paid internship roles both onsite at the University and externally with businesses in and around central London.


City Cost of Living Hub

The Univeristy and SU have worked together to build a range of support resources for students during this current cost of living crisist. Find out about vouchers you may be entitled to, bursaries, food on campus discounts and much more. 


External support services

All of the below services have helplines or web-chat advice services. They are also comprehensive sources of online guidance.


Money Advice Service - the Money Advice Service can provide advice on a wide range of issues including money management, problem debt including rent arrears and mortgage issues, benefits, or pensions & retirement.


Citizens Advice - Citizens Advice also provide advice on money and debt and many of the same categories as covered by the Money Advice Service. They also advise on a broad range of topics including consumer rights, family problems and immigration.


Shelter England - we are likely to refer students to Shelter England when they live in privately rented accommodation. Shelter helps millions of people every year struggling with bad housing or homelessness through advice, support and legal services.

If you live in Scotland or Wales, you can find Shelter Scotland at and Shelter Cymru here


Save the Student 

Provides free impartial financial guidance to students on how to make money go further. Lots of cool and interesting articles on saving money, budgeting, discounts, bank accounts and much more. Keep an eye out for the best student deals!