LGBTQ+ History Month
During the month of February, we are recognising LGBTQI+ (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer and Intersex) communities’ history and promoting diversity and equality in society. Your LGBTQ+ Officer has collaborated the University to offer a range of activities for students and staff improve awareness of the challenges faced by people in the community and celebrate successes of individuals from a wide range of backgrounds and experiences.
What do we have planned for you?
- During the month of February, visit our Welcome Desk to collect:
- your pronoun badges (getting pronouns right will make the person feel acknowledged and valid);
- LGBTQ+ Pride Flags (these help different members of the LGBTQ+ community feel seen and heard);
- LGBTQ+ History Month Lanyards;
- Condoms and Dental Dems will also be availble for collection.
- We also have a few events planned:
- Student Council Speaker (9th of February)
- More events to be uploaded here.
During this month we will also launch our 'Stating your Pronouns' campaign.
Why is it important to get pronouns right?
When someone is referred to with a pronoun (e.g. he/she/they) that doesn’t align with their gender identity, it can make them feel alienated. Getting pronouns right will make the person feel acknowledged and valid.
Resources available here and our personalised email signatures available here.
Get in touch
Would you like to be involved or host an activity - you can email Paulina, our LGBTQ+ Officer.